The community center One Happy Family (OHF) on the greek island Lesvos is build up and run together with refugees and volunteers.
It all started in spring 2017 and today OHF is operative up from 8 to 10 hours per day. Daily it serves up to 700 hot meals, it has over 3000 registered visitors, over 100 pupils and almost 20 different projects on spot which are run and initiated by refugees themselves. It became a place of peaceful coexistence and especially a place of creative collaboration with people of different cultures. OHF empowers the refugees on the island and allows them to escape the inhumane conditions in the camps where there is a huge lack of activities, infrastructure, medical treatment, water supply, and food.
We are three young people who will support OHF in November as volunteers.
A tough winter lies ahead of us. Together with the people in charge we‘ve analyzed the place and stated that the following work must be done:
1. Isolation of the windows of the main building through plexiglass-panes and other isolation material.
- - >The windows are thin and partly broken. With the strong winds on the island the temperature sinks to 3°. With enough donations we can even install new and better isolated windows.
2. Improvement of the room acoustics in order to reduce echoes.
- - > with the big amount of people in the main building the volume is hardly bearable. For this reason provisions must be taken to improve the acoustics.
3. Complete Isolation of the wooden house
- - > the recently built wooden house must be complete isolated to allow the people its use in winter.
4. A rainproof roof as well as water and windproof curtains for the gym area.
5. A wall above the boutique to prevent flood and gravel soil to prevent mud
- - > As the boutique is situated underneath an acclivity, the soil is a place of slobber after every rain shower.
6. Expansion of the furniture, particularly seating-accommodation
To take care of this urgent work and to overcome the winter months we need your support!
The project costs are still estimated and include construction materials, tools and transportation. All the remaining money will be used for the association One Happy Family to cover running costs.